Belongg drives programs and platforms that focus on bringing intersectional research and expertise to bear on important decisions that get taken in our world across the public, private, and civil-society spheres. We define intersectional research and expertise as lying at the intersection of identity markers (gender & sexuality, race, caste, faith, disability, ethnicity, age) and different topical domains such as international development, technology, media, financing, housing, income, SDGs, education. We bring together researchers, experts, organisations who are experts in topical domains and also address crucial issues of intersectionality and identity in their work.
Belongg focuses on four key initiatives:
Belongg Circle: This is a technology-enabled platform that curates intersectional experts for organisations to get in touch with them and include them in their research, design, and strategy processes. See more here: https://belonggcircle.com
xSDG: A platform that curates research, data, and conversations focused on intersectional inclusion within international development. See more here: https://xsdg.dev
xSDG Podcasts: A range of podcasts focused on intersectionality in development. https://open.spotify.com/show/ (all episodes are accessible on Belongg’s app UnOther)
Partnering with global organisations in the social impact space and helping them make their work and programming more intersectional.
About the role:
In 2023, we will publish one sectoral report on the state of intersectionality in food systems, and we are looking to hire a talented intern to work on either of these reports.
The full-time role would involve the following –
- Responsible for identifying and drafting relevant research on topics within food systems. Creating summaries and updating these on the xSDG website.
- Hosting research-based interviews and drafting case studies. Reaching out to academics, researchers and NGOs and harvesting material for the report.
- Writing literature reviews and compiling secondary research for the reports.
- Responsible for identifying and reaching out to partners for field research and community interactions, assisting with focus groups and qualitative field interviews, as needed.
- Dissemination of the report in various forms, through blogs, articles, social media posts, podcast episodes and more. Publications can be featured in platforms such as IDR, The Wire and Youth ki Awaaz.
- Supporting the management and partnerships teams at Belongg with research on potential funding opportunities and research collaborations for the report(s).
- Any other work that might be needed.
Qualifications we are looking for include:
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in sociology, development, anthropology, economics, or psychology.
- A deep interest in diversity & inclusion and working on issues related to gender, LGBTQ rights, equity for religious and caste-based identities, immigrant rights.
- A deep passion for research where you read about new research and books being published on these topics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A self-starter who is comfortable in startup environments.
Key takeaways and learning outcomes for participants:
- Students gain work experience in the social impact space, including the opportunity to learn from and participate in partnership meetings, proposal presentations, MOU drafting meetings, etc.
- Students interact with funders, NGOs, community members, academic and grassroots experts and media firms.
- Students will have opportunities to learn editing and design tools such as Canva and Descript.
- Publications in media outlets and on Belongg’s platforms.
- Students will be provided a stipend (INR 15,000 per month), work certificates and letters of recommendation (on request).
The position is based in Bengaluru, between the duration of mid-May to August (a time commitment of 8 weeks). If this sounds interesting, please write to email@example.com with:
- A thoughtful cover letter & CV with “Application for Internship – Belongg” in the subject line. If you prefer to use an audio-visual format, you may also send in a 3 minute video along with, or instead of, the cover letter.
- Additionally, in your cover letter / video, do share details about courses you may have taken or research you may have done on topics related to food.
- One writing sample – Any paper or essay you may have written, either on food systems, or any other relevant topic within social impact / development.
Belongg actively encourages applications from candidates with diverse identities.
The application deadline is 7th May 2023.