Belongg is a new impact venture that seeks to promote diversity and inclusion in Indian cities and serve people who, otherwise, due to their gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, caste, or ability, would face prejudice/bias and get severely compromised access to services such as housing, jobs, healthcare, and education. Belongg seeks to fix this through a community-based approach that brings together members of these groups and allies. In addition to these services, we also host a range of events – book readings, a supper club, open mic nights – to cultivate a thick community of likeminded people. We’ve gone live in Delhi to begin with and encourage you to get in touch in case this can be of help to you or someone you know. We are hiring a Video Producer to help make films on diversity and inclusion issues. The job description is given as well as the application form. We’d appreciate your applying if of interest or passing this to people who might find the roles interesting.
Video Producer – Diversity & Inclusion
“We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” Maya Angelou “We have become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams.” Jimmy Carter
The world is splintering along the lines of religion, class, gender, sexuality, physical appearance, ability. People increasingly live in bubbles that eventually manifests as isolation, aversion, and intolerance in both subtle and extreme forms. Millions of people simply because of their gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity ending up facing prejudice not just in their everyday life but also when they seek services such as housing, employment, healthcare, and education.
Belongg is a social venture that promotes inclusion and diversity in cities, societies and organisations. Our goal is to help provide discrimination-free services such as housing and jobs to people who otherwise would face prejudice and bias in claiming these services due to their gender, sexuality, religion, caste, ethnicity, or ability. We bring together an eclectic community of people: those from underserved communities such as – religious minorities, Dalits, immigrants, northeast Indians, LGBTQIA+, disabled – on the one hand and allies/ those in possession of or capable of providing services such as housing, healthcare, jobs, and education on the other. The founders and early investors in Belongg have significant experience in social impact and a deep desire to create more inclusive societies. They include, among others, Partners at Dalberg Advisors and other leading design firms in India.
The Video Producer Role
Belongg is looking for a talented video producer who feels strongly about inclusion and diversity to join our team. If you are interested in diversity & inclusion and issues pertaining to groups that are traditionally perceived to be in the “minority” – LGBTQ, religious minorities, gender, caste-based minorities, immigrants – and are savvy with video and filmmaking, we’d love to meet you.
You will drive the entire process of producing videos for Belongg to help us engage with our community across India. This will involve brainstorming ideas with the team, creating storyboards, capturing videos, editing, and then producing videos.
The videos would be across a range of formats – interviews, short thematic films, sound-bytes from crowds, ambient shots of the city, Belongg meetups – and will get used across social media and web channels.
Qualifications we are looking for include
- A track record of and a deep interest in diversity & inclusion and working on issues related to gender, LGBTQ rights, equity for religious and caste-based minorities, immigrant rights. This should be a clear passion for you.
- An undergrad or graduate degree in film studies, cinematography, or related fields from a leading college
- At least 2 years of experience as a video producer or independent filmmaker in a formal setting
- Experience using a range of video equipment including sound and lighting
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere Pro, FCP, After Effects
- Previous work experience in social media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Evidence of independent writing and being published would be an added plus
- A vibrant presence on social media across channels such as Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest would be very useful
- Most importantly, we are looking for a self-starter who is comfortable in startup environments and sees this opportunity (both the mission of the company and the role) aligned to their long term goals.
The position is based in New Delhi, India but will involve frequent travel within India.
If this sounds interesting, please submit the following via email to [email protected] with the subject title “Application for Video Producer at Belongg”.
Please include the following in your application: A brief paragraph or two stating interest and qualifications for the position, a resume and a portfolio of your film work.