Belongg is a new impact venture that seeks to promote diversity and inclusion in Indian cities and serve people who, otherwise, due to their gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, caste, or ability, would face prejudice/bias and get severely compromised access to services such as housing, jobs, healthcare, and education. Belongg seeks to fix this through a community-based approach that brings together members of these groups and allies. In addition to these services, we also host a range of events – book readings, a supper club, open mic nights – to cultivate a thick community of likeminded people. We’ve gone live in Delhi to begin with and encourage you to get in touch in case this can be of help to you or someone you know. We are hiring a Community & Operations Associate. The job description is given as well as the application form. We’d appreciate your applying if of interest or passing this to people who might find the roles interesting.
Community & Operations Associate
“We all should know that diversity makes for a rich tapestry, and we must understand that all the threads of the tapestry are equal in value no matter what their color.” Maya Angelou “We have become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams.” Jimmy Carter
The world is splintering along the lines of religion, class, gender, sexuality, physical appearance, ability. People increasingly live in bubbles that eventually manifests as isolation, aversion, and intolerance in both subtle and extreme forms. Millions of people simply because of their gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity ending up facing prejudice not just in their everyday life but also when they seek services such as housing, employment, healthcare, and education.
Belongg is a social venture that promotes inclusion and diversity in cities, societies and organisations. Our goal is to help provide discrimination-free services such as housing and jobs to people who otherwise would face prejudice and bias in claiming these services due to their gender, sexuality, religion, caste, ethnicity, or ability. We bring together an eclectic community of people: those from underserved communities such as – religious minorities, Dalits, immigrants, northeast Indians, LGBTQIA+, disabled – on the one hand and allies/ those in possession of or capable of providing services such as housing, healthcare, jobs, and education on the other. The founders and early investors in Belongg have significant experience in social impact and a deep desire to create more inclusive societies. They include, among others, Partners at Dalberg Advisors and other leading design firms in India.
The Community & Operations Associate Role
We are looking to hire a qualified Community & Operations Associate to join the growing Belongg team to support Belongg in its pursuit to enable easier access to basic services for various underserved communities. The said person will support the business operations and community outreach efforts of Belongg. This would entail basic office management, community engagement, and coordination activities to support Belongg in delivering housing services to our community. The Associate will play a key role by assisting the Community Manager keep track of community member engagement, service logistics, and more importantly, by acting as a bridge between Belongg community members and our housing partners to ensure high-quality services and associated activities. If you are interested in diversity & inclusion, issues pertaining to groups that are traditionally perceived to be in the “minority” – LGBTQ, religious minorities, gender, caste-based minorities, immigrants – and are savvy with managing both community activity as well as business operations, we’d love to meet you.
Specific responsibilities theCommunity& Operations Associate would carry include:
Managing community operations
- Designing and organizing physical community events that build a community and boost the brand as well as keeping track of participants and fostering community through interactions with the participants
- Responding to comments and incoming queries and building strong relationships through such conversations
- Researching relevant trends and identifying partnership opportunities with to build community for Belongg through partnerships with community spaces in Delhi, restaurants, clubs focused on the groups we are targeting
Managing housing service operations
- Building a network of housing service providers and homeowners who do not discriminate
- Discussing housing needs with Belongg community members who are looking to lease housing and then matching them with appropriate service providers and overseeing service quality
- Developing and executing marketing and brand building ideas to increase both the service provider base as well as the demand from community members
- Keeping track of operations through a CRM system and other trackers as needed
Qualifications we are looking for include
We are looking for someone who is highly self-driven and adaptive to circumstances and is willing to do what it takes to support a start-up build its brand and invest in its growth domestically and internationally, and wants to create positive social impact through their work and live and believe in absolute inclusivity and diversity.
Specific experience we are looking for includes:
- Experience working in diversity & inclusion initiatives either at a non-profit, in a corporate organization, or through research
- Experience in community operations as well as some core business operations
- A track record of and a deep interest in diversity & inclusion and working on issues related to gender, LGBTQ rights, equity for religious and caste-based minorities, immigrant rights. This should be a clear passion for you.
- At least 1 year of experience in a formal work environment; ideally in a process-orient environment such as a KPO or a business process outsourcing environment
- You should be a “people person” who loves engaging with people and building communities both online and offline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PPT
- Experience in multitasking and detail orientation
- An undergraduate degree from a university in India or abroad
- Most importantly, we are looking for a self-starter who is comfortable in start-up environments and sees this opportunity (both the mission of the company and the role) aligned to their long term goals.
The position is full-time and is based in New Delhi, India.
If this sounds interesting, please submit the following via email to [email protected] with the subject title as “Application for Community & Operations Associate at Belongg”. You can also apply through the form below. Include the following in your application: A brief paragraph or two stating interest and qualifications for the position A resume detailing work experience, education, qualifications and contact information (name, email, phone) for at least one reference Prospective candidates are encouraged to apply immediately and will be interviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.